Not myself anymore: mentally challenged.

soulbeauty_25soulbeauty_25 Member New Member
edited January 23 in Support
I was diagnosed in 2007 and I’m 25 now. Till this day I haven’t accepted that I have lupus. Over the years I have lost confidence and deal with social anxiety. I prefer my own company because I’m easily exhausted. I don’t have any ambition and motivation to achieve anything. If I can stay home and not work I would choose that lifestyle any-day. I know deep down I love company and want to achieve big things but I struggle to interact and feel comfortable around people. I get days where I’m extremely fatigued, exhausted on random days where I literally struggle to get out of bed. Also I’m very forgetful.  when I’m going through this, my closest don’t seem to understand me as a person and it’s stresses me out. 

Surely lupus doesn’t just physically affect you but it comes with some mental health challenges? This should be further researched and also taken seriously during check up. 
Can anyone relate? 

Comments

• latinladym11latinladym11 Member New Member
    I can relate to you. I am 40 years old and I was just diagnosed about 10 months ago, so needless to day my life has changed dramatically. I was so scared of what could happen since I have an aunt that died from lupus. I did not want to be like that, as bad as that sounds. I am the only one in my family that has it, my mom has a liver disease but nothing like what I have. So it was a complete shock when I was diagnosed. I keep to myself alot but I get frustrated when I can't do what I used to do simply because I am too exhausted. So therefore I stay to myself. 

What helps me is talking about it to people I don't know, which is I guess somewhat bad since Its not family. I am slowly opening up to my family but sometimes they don't get it. So my "other community" helps me. 
  • ashleyflitcraft1986ashleyflitcraft1986 Member New Member
    My husband teases me often due to my forgetfulness and my girls do not understand. It hurts, I completely understand you. I ignore it most days, however it gets to me none the less. Connecting with others like yourself helps a lot to not feel alone♡♡♡
  • dpinkstondpinkston Member New Member
    I understand completely how you feel.  I was diagnosed in 2008.  I have been very blessed that I have not had too many flares, but recently I have had more flares and have really started forgetting things.  I forget complete conversations.  It is affecting my work.  I got called on the carpet for forgetting so much at work and I finally had to tell my boss that it was due to a medical condition or I fear I would have lost my job.  I am the only income in my family and that would have been a disaster.